Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Coffee Table Build

 




My brother picked up this old pool table frame a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth restoring.  I asked him to set it aside for me and I would make something out of it.  It looks to be American Chestnut as there are a few worm holes scattered throughout the pieces, but also could be White Oak.  I've always found it difficult to tell them apart.  As far back as I can remember I've hated purchasing wood for projects from specialty mills or big box stores, its just too expensive and if your not a big time cabinet maker they don't seem to treat you all that well.  Don't get me wrong, it would so nice to start a project with clear straight lumber but there is also joy in giving something a second chance.  I'm a scavenger from way back and kind of enjoy the struggle that comes along with working with recycled materials.  It's oddly satisfying.  I attribute a great deal of the satisfaction to knowing the materials were free or extremely cheap.  I decided to see if I can make a coffee table and end table out of this old frame.



I cut what were the two sides of the pool table down, jointed and ran they through the planer.  The final thickness is roughly 1.25".  They clean up nicely and will become the top to the coffee table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coffee Table Build

  My brother picked up this old pool table frame a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth restoring.  I asked him to set it aside for...